Orientation Arrival and Check-in
Your arrival date to MIT for the fall semester will vary depending on if you’re participating in an FPOP program, are a fall athlete, or are an International Student. Please review the arrival dates and information below to determine what day you are able to arrive on campus.
- Approved Fall Athletes: Fall athlete arrival dates are communicated by Athletics. If you are participating in a varsity sport and have not been in touch with your coach regarding the arrival date for your team, please do so at your earliest convenience.; See the Athletics Website for a complete listing of all coaches and their email addresses.
- International Students: International students can arrive on Saturday, August 17 and Sunday, August 18. International Orientation events are held on Monday, August 19 and Tuesday, August 20. Please note that the International Orientation Program is only for international students who are not U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents. U.S. Citizens living abroad and Permanent Residents (as well as all international students) must attend the campus orientation that begins on Sunday, August 25.
- Pre-Orientation Program (FPOP) Arrival: Students participating in a FPOP will arrive on Tuesday, August 20. FPOPs are by application only. Please do not book travel until all information about your FPOP has been communicated to you (mid June 2019).
- Class of 2023 Arrival: All remaining members of the Class of 2023 will arrive on Saturday, August 24. We ask that all students check in for Orientation by 8pm.
The Orientation student schedule is available via the mobile app, Guidebook. Your student should download the app and then search “MIT Orientation 2019”. The web version of the app is available at: http://guidebook.com/guide/156090.
When you arrive on campus for orientation, you should proceed directly to your assigned residence hall. Once you have checked in there, you should proceed to check-in with Orientation staff in Room 7-103. Please note that if you are arriving via plane, there is no MIT shuttle service to campus from the airport. Most students travel to campus from the airport via taxi or MBTA. If you have questions about check-in, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Orientation Check-In (for students) will be open during the following times:
Approved Fall Athletes + International Students ONLY:
- Friday, August 16 between 7am - 6pm
- Saturday, August 17 between 9am - 6pm
- Sunday, August 18 between 9am - 6pm
- Monday, August 19 between 7am - 6pm
FPOP Participants ONLY:
- Tuesday, August 20 between 7am - 8pm
All remaining members of the Class of 2023:
- Saturday, August 24 between 7am - 8pm
If you need to have your baggage or belongings sent to Cambridge prior to your arrival on campus, you must make arrangements with a separate company. You cannot ship directly to MIT until you have moved into your permanent housing assignment.
Parent Orientation Check-In
Parents and families can check in for Parent Orientation on Saturday, August 24 (from 10am-6pm) and Sunday, August 25 (from 9am-5pm) on the 3rd floor of the Student Center, W20-Coffeehouse. Parent Orientation will take place on Sunday, August 25 and Monday, August 26. You may view the PDF Parent Orientation schedule here. For more information, please visit the Parent Page.