Associate Advisor Position Description
Associate Advisors are MIT sophomores, juniors and seniors who provide academic support and resources to first-year students. The Office of the First Year matches them with a first-year faculty advisor in either a traditional or seminar-based advising group. Associate advisors compliment the advisor's efforts by providing the student perspective on MIT academics and student life. In addition, associate advisors are strongly connected to the first-year students in their living groups. By being highly visible and accessible, associate advisors strengthen the support network that is available to first-years in their dorms.
- Assist first-year advisor with students' registration both semesters
- Initiate contact with your advisees at least twice per month
- Organize social activities with advising group (e.g. dinners, museums, and fun events)
- Support the Office of the First Year's academic programs
- Team up with the associate advisors and head AAin your dorm to support first-years. This could include academic programing.
- Make a one-year commitment to serve in the associate advisor role
- Possess knowledge of MIT resources and be able to refer students appropriately
- Attend spring and August orientation
- Participate in 2 training and development OFY workshops
- Treat interactions with students confidentially
- Comply with all the policies and procedures of MIT