Meeting Your Advisor during Orientation for Registration
You will meet your freshman advisor and associate advisor during Orientation to register for your fall term classes.
Your advisor will be sending you an email welcome message by August 23, with information about him/herself and specific instructions for meeting during Orientation week. If you do not receive the email by August 23, email Dean Elizabeth Young (email@example.com).
Tuesday, August 29, 3:30-5:00 pm, you will meet in a location specified in your advisor's welcome email. This is an initial group meeting to meet your advisor, associate advisor and the other freshmen in your advising group and to arrange individual registration meetings.
You will meet with your advisor to register on Thursday, August 31.
Before You Begin to Register
Check your Online Freshman Advising Folder to review any pending credit based on AP, International exams, transfer credit and results from the FEE to help you determine which subjects to consider this fall. Read the detailed descriptions of the GIRs, and attend the Core Blitz (Tuesday, August 29, 11:30am, Kresge Auditorium) to learn more detailed information about the GIRs.
Fall Registration Instructions and Procedures
Beginning on Monday, August 28, you may initiate online registration for the classes you plan to take this fall. Complete information about how to register can be found on the Registrar's website. You will finalize registration when you meet with your advisor on August 31.
Finalizing Your Online Registration
You will finalize your registration with your advisor on August 31, and must be fully registered for your fall classes by 5:00 pm.
- BRING YOUR LAPTOP to your registration meeting. Having electronic access to your Online Advising Folder and your online Registration Form is necessary. Detailed registration instructions can be found on the Registrar's website.
- You will fill out the online registration form and discuss class selections with your advisor.
- Once you and your advisor agree on your fall semester classes, your advisor will approve your online registration.
- You must then SUBMIT YOUR REGISTRATION form.
- Failure to submit your online registration by 5pm on Thursday, August 31, will mean that you will not get a class schedule to review.
You are strictly limited to 54 units in the fall term. The only exceptions for exceeding the credit limit are for Mission 2021/12.000 (up to 57 units) or for Seminar XL (up to 57 or 60 units). See the Freshman Credit Limits page for complete information.
If you will be participating in a learning communities this Fall, you and your advisor will receive special instructions about registering for classes.
- Experimental Study Group (ESG): Questions should be directed to Dr. Paola Rebusco 617-324-7773, room 24-608.
- Concourse: You will be registered by your Concourse advisor. Questions should be directed to Ms. Paula Cogliano, 617-253-2300, room 16-127.
- Terrascope/Mission 2021 (12.000, Solving Complex Problems): You are automatically registered for 12.000 Solving Complex Problems; it will already appear on your Online Registration Form. Questions should be directed to Ms. Emily Martin Room, x3-4074, room 16-177A .
- Media Arts & Sciences (MAS) program: Questions should be directed to Dr. Michael Bove, x3-0334.
- On Friday, September 1, you can check your class schedule on WebSIS.
- Your schedule is only available online until September 8. This online schedule includes the dates, times, and room numbers for each subject for which you registered. You should print out your schedule or keep a written copy.
- Recitation Conflicts: Switching recitations or sections within a subject (i.e., moving from one 8.01 recitation to another): Each Department controls the process for switching recitations. See the Registrar's site to get information on how to change recitation sections for Science Core subjects.